Well I for one think that blackboard is under used at NYU. I had a blackboard at my undergrad and it was also not being used. I think that it is hard for some teacher who are not "computer" people to use it to it's full potential.
PROS of BB - 1) It is a great place to have a reference of all of the information you have received over the course of the semester. It is nice to look back on your supplemental material and be able to refer back to your syllabus ( especially when you are teaching!)
2) when something is on BB it is there until you no longer have access to your nyu account, so even if you took a class your first semester - you can take a look back at it and use it as a reference point.
3) It is nice to have interactions with your professors on the web. It is easy to upload a paper to BB or answer a weekly reflection.
4) SAVE A TREE! BE GREEN!
5) It is just a great place to keep everything organized
CONS of BB
1) our system ( cough ALBERT cough) is usually slow. NYU's server is not the best. I find that on many occasions I can not get to BB and if there is something I need I get annoyed when I cant get through.
2) some professors don't like using BB because students can then use the excuse " but I posted it to BB?"